An Idle Speculation.

I go to the beach a lot. I enjoy an early morning dog walk and the casual conversations of other dog support people. I find that the view and atmosphere are just conducive to idle speculation, and I find myself watching and wondering about the early morning swimmers. I am constantly scanning the sea around them for that disturbance in the water as a telltale sign that they are being stalked. I don’t swim in the sea. I have seen far too many sharksploitation movies to ever believe being attacked would not be poetic justice, and I am just not going to give fate that hand to be dealt. I have been known to go recklessly in as far as my ankles on occasion, so the sea is still a draw.
 Thank goodness then the odds are 1 in 3.75 million of an attack happening or in my region specifically 1 in 8 million. factor in I am only going in ankle deep and I think I can triple the odds safely. Experts say I have more chance of being attacked by a kangaroo which is a very rare event. However, I’ve seen the way those marsupials look at me when I pull the blinds in the morning and whilst not overly hostile, they are certainly not looks of endearment. I am yet to see a killer Kangaroo movie but if the odds are more likely than a shark attack then why not?
Anyway, we are far more dangerous to sharks than the other way around. Shark fin soup has seen the decline of about 70% of the shark population in recent years and it is estimated that we lose 73 million sharks a year. A shark has an approx. 41% chance of losing its fins this year. 


The Look


Comments

Popular Posts